Kitchen Electrical Safety

One of the major causes of household electric fires are caused due to the faulty use of kitchen appliances. Take extra care when using kitchen appliances while avoiding contact with water and warm surfaces. Make sure that:

  • You don’t leave any electrical equipment unattended while it is working.

  • Combustible objects are kept away from the cooking area.

  • All the appliances are unplugged when not in use.

  • No appliances are used in wet condition.

  • Refrigerator coils are vacuumed quarterly.

  • No appliances are repaired while they are still plugged in.

  • Any grease or buildup in the ovens and grills is cleaned regularly as it can cause a fire.

  • All the cords are kept away from water and hot surfaces.

  • Microwaves and refrigerators are well ventilated.

  • All smoke alarms are installed and tested yearly for complete protection.

Free Safe Home Visit - Fire & General Home Safety

You can never be to safe when it comes to your family and your home. We’ve seen many hazards and electrical disasters in our times. We’d like to inform you about a FREE service provided by the QLD Fire Department called Safehome.

Safehome is an initiative of Queensland Fire and Emergency Services designed to assist all householders with fire and general safety in the home. Once the hazards are identified you can then take steps to eliminate them. Firefighters will visit you upon request at a time convenient to you.

By submitting this request, you agree to Queensland Fire and Emergency Services collecting the personal information you have provided to assist with making and administering a Safehome visit.

Safehome is free and only available to Queensland residents. Visit